Click to See How-To Video!
Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Prep: 45 minutes plus cooling and chilling
Bake: 35 minutes • Serves: 12
2 cups Our Family® all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Our Family® baking powder
1 teaspoon Our Family® baking soda
1 teaspoon Our Family® ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon Our Family® plain salt
1/8 teaspoon Our Family® ground nutmeg
1-1/2 cups Our Family® pure granulated sugar
1/2 cup Our Family® 100% pure vegetable oil
3 Martin’s large eggs
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon Our Family® pure vanilla extract
3 medium carrots, finely shredded (3 cups)
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in juice (optional)
1/2 cup Our Family® raisins (optional)
1-1/2 cups Our Family® chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
3/4 cup Martin’s unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
3-3/4 cups Our Family® powdered sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1-1/2 teaspoons Our Family® pure vanilla extract
1. Carrot Cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with baking spray. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
2. In large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat granulated sugar and oil until just combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, and beat 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally with rubber spatula. Add lemon zest and vanilla extract, and beat 30 seconds or until blended.
3. Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour mixture and beat until just blended. Fold in carrots and, if desired, pineapple with its juice, raisins and/or 1/2 cup walnuts.
4. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes, then invert onto wire rack to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, prepare Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting: In large bowl, with mixer on low speed, beat cream cheese and butter 3 minutes or until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally with rubber spatula. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until well combined. Add lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed until just combined, but do not overmix. Chill frosting 30 minutes before spreading.
6. To frost cake, place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on cake plate, and spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with second cake layer, rounded side up. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Sprinkle top of cake with remaining 1 cup walnuts, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
634 Calories, 32g Fat, 15g Saturated Fat, 106mg Cholesterol, 416mg Sodium,
83g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 64g Sugars, 61g Added Sugars, 6g Protein